RE: [IP] Re: Totally Cool New Meter

Greg:

The first meter I used was called the "Stat Tech" - I think it was made by
Boehringer Manheim (makers of Accu Chek, etc), although none of the folks I
speak to at BM remember it. I started using it in late as I recall. It
weighed about 5 pounds, was definitely *not* portable (electric, it plugged
into the wall) and really needed to be calibrated before each test.

For those of you out there who have insurers reluctant to pay for strips,
take heart - I had to photocopy the entire user's manual and send it to the
insurance company along with pictures of the device, because they had
*never* heard of a device like this before ;-) There were some comical
conversations - Why was I using laboratory equipment in my house? Did my
doctor know / approve of this testing apparatus? Was I certified to use it,
etc. I spent months documenting any info I could find regarding the
benefits of home glucose monitoring, etc, before they would pay for the
strips. (To do the same research today would probably take an evening on
the Internet). I paid for the meter myself - the price as I recall was
several hundred dollars - ouch ;-(

This meter did not require the user to wash the blood off the strips - you
blotted it off. I used an egg timer for timing. During the first portion of
the test, you left the strip out of the meter. After a set time, you
blotted the strip and inserted the strip in the meter. When the timer went
off, you rotated a dial on the meter, watching the needle in the display
until it "centered" itself in the indicator area. Readings were
approximate, since there was no display read out.

Wow !! Reading back through this, I am starting to feel old ;-)

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted

<snip

>Does anyone remember when the first home glucose meters became available?  I
>still vividly remember this meter that required you to apply blood and start
>a timer, then wash the blood off the stick with a spray at a certain point,
>blot it dry, and insert it in the meter just as the timer ran down.  It had
>a largish LED (as opposed to the modern LCD) numeric display, and was rather
>erratic, but still MUCH better than the pee-on-a-stick method.  Does anyone
>know when this would have been?  I'm thinking sometime in the early 80's,
>but it MIGHT have even been the late 70's...
>
>--
>Greg Legowski
>Why is it that people always seem to react to food and diabetes in one of 2
>ways -- "Don't eat that!" or "Come on, a little won't hurt"?

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted