Re: [IP] Re: Totally Cool New Meter

Title: Re: [IP] Re: Totally Cool New Meter
email @ redacted (Janine Shea)

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:35:12 -0800 , email @ redacted (Janine Shea wrote:
> But apparently the Dex reads differently
>because what it measures is different than most meters and therefore it is
>not comparable. Something to do with it using plasma/serum glucose versus
>whole blood? There has been an argument about this on another diabetes
>list but I still don't quite get it.
>Janine

Hi Janine:
The rhubarb over the sampling methods discussed on m.h.d. is really quite simple. The first of three methods is done at your doctors laboratory. They take your sample (called whole blood) and then obtain the plasma or colorless portion by centrifuging your sample. This portion is analyzed by accurate scientific equipment and a result is obtained.
The second method is that which most home meters use. A drop of blood(whole blood in these cases) is tested for glucose. This is simple, but the basis of analysis is not identical to the labs method (remember the separation step to obtain the plasma). Since the basis of the two methods are different, the results are also different..
Now a third method (sort of!) is used. Some home meters (apparently including the Dex) measure the whole blood as in the second paragraph of this post, but apply a mathematical fudge factor to report what would have happened had you used the centrifuged blood as in paragraph 1. I think!

Good Health
Ernest Hayman
type 2, MDI, 20 years