[IP] ancient bg testers (was Re: Totally Cool New Meter)

>Hmmmm...  Now I'm wondering something.  I just said above that I'm still a
>pretty good bleeder.  This is after 25 years of diabetes, but NOT 25 years
>of finger sticks, since home glucose meters weren't available back then.
>Does anyone remember when the first home glucose meters became available?  I
>still vividly remember this meter that required you to apply blood and start
>a timer, then wash the blood off the stick with a spray at a certain point,
>blot it dry, and insert it in the meter just as the timer ran down.  It had
>a largish LED (as opposed to the modern LCD) numeric display, and was rather
>erratic, but still MUCH better than the pee-on-a-stick method.  Does anyone
>know when this would have been?  I'm thinking sometime in the early 80's,
>but it MIGHT have even been the late 70's...

I got my first bg meter in 1980/81.  It was a squirt and wipe affair and
the lancer (auto-clic?) was like a guillotine - you watched it swing down
an jab you.  And it hurt!  But better than urine testing, for sure.

I am not sure when monitors came out but I think it was about 1979/80.  How
far we have come!

Janine
type 1 for 18 years
pump for 13 years