Re: [IP] Minimed's new continuous glucose sensor

On Sat, 03 Jan 1998 11:15:36 -0800 Gina Goveas <email @ redacted>
writes:
>Michelle,
>I talked to a MiniMed rep about this sensor, but he did not give me
>too
>many specifics on what it looks like, etc. I remember that you said
>earlier
>that you learned a lot about your diabetes while wearing the sensor.
>Can
>you elaborate? I want to know what it looks like, how it connects to
>you
>and how you used the information it gave you. I'm thinking it would be
>ideal for pregnancy because so many BG tests are required. Any
>information
>would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Gina Goveas
Gina,
 Maybe we can get some answers from Bill??? Since he works for Minimed
and is involved with the sensor.  I would hate to steer anyone wrong with
my misinformation.  Originally the sensor was attatched to a needle that
had a computer chip sized square on the end of the needle that was not
inserted into the skin.  The final sensor was just a wire that was
inserted into something like a tender (I wasn't on the pump and familiar
with the infusion sets at the time, even now I use a soft set so I may be
misquoting) I think we pulled out the introducer needle and left the wire
in with the teflon. I tried not to think about it because I have the same
reaction to inserting my own needles as Sara does.( I do ok with the sof
serter though, thank you Minimed for coming up with the idea).  Minimed
did not offer up too much information on the sensor this last time I was
in the trial.  The sensor stays in 3 to 4 days. It is attached to a wire
which is attached to a box a little bit bigger than the pump.  It can
give you your blood sugar constantly but I think they figured that would
drive us obsesive compulsive diabetics nuts so they only let us know the
values every couple of minutes and average the results.  Guess they
figure we would be bolusing every 5 seconds.  Later on they want to
incorporate the technology into a wireless system that can be worn on a
watchband and be a closed loop system with the pump.