Re: [IP] Re: Counting carbs

> >Also, one area I get myself into trouble with is carb counting.  Any
> >suggestions on eyeballing a plate when you are out to eat & determining how
> >many carbs are there?  I figure this too comes from practice/trial &error,
> >but figured if someone had some suggestions...

Astonishingly enough, most restruants and most people at home come
very close to serving a 'standard' serving of any particular food.  I
think the receipes are probably set up that way.  Except for desserts
and veggies, almost everything else is about 15 grams a serving.

Most regular desserts run 55 to 65 grams of carbo at the finer
resturants (the sliver size desserts).  You can not depend on this
but at least it is a starting point.

You do learn with experience.  Lily (now 14) can eyeball just about
everything except chinese food and get real close.  Chinese is still
a problem, probably because many of the sauces contain arrow-root
which maxes out your carbo count instantly.

Michael
email @ redacted