[IP] Forward from Bill at MiniMed re: Humalog Velosulin mixes

From: email @ redacted (Bill Van Antwerp)
Subject: Re: [IP] various comments

>1/1/98
>
>How did everyone do last night watching bg values? I woke up this
>morning with a 242, not bad considering. I have noticed in the past
>when my bg is above 200 I have to be aggressive to get it down by
>using bolus and an increased temp base rate. Last night I just used
>the temp base rate increased by .3, it kept it below 300 but wasn't
>enough to drop it below 200.
>
>I'm interested in the mixing of regular and humalog, can you tell me
>what ratio you used? I'm going to mention it to my doctor it sounds
>like a good idea for those of us who seem to be having trouble on the
>third day.
>
>I got a sample silhoutte and bent needle from MM but no instructions
>on how to use them, the silhoutte dosen't even have any tubing, how
>am I going to use it?? Someone with experience please comment.
>
>Happy New Year to all
>Carol
>Carol Wasson
>email @ redacted
There have been a few comments on mixing Humalog and Velosulin to
counteract the "loss of site" issues that appear to happen with
straight Humalog.  SOmeone mentioned that their physician recommended
this.  Does anyone have a theory how this might work?  We at MiniMed
have heard this proposed and even heard some anecdotal evidence that
it works, but how?  I can not think of a mechanism that could allow
this mixture to work.  Several questions immediately appear when this
is suggested and the first is what the heck is happening at the site.
We are working fairly hard at understanding the issue of site loss in
some animal experiments and still have not enough leads.  IF anyone in
the group has a theory no matter how silly you think it sounds, lets
discuss it.

Bill