[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V13 #1352

*Mikki Lee Weaver*
*email @ redacted <email @ redacted> *

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:36 AM, insulin-pumpers-digest <
email @ redacted> wrote:

> b Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 16:06:14 -0500
> From: Mikki Lee Weaver <email @ redacted
> reply.insulin-pumpers.org>
> Subject: [IP] Steroidal spine injections and how to adjust my basal & bolus
>
> Hi everyone,  I just had a procedure for my back this am. It was steroid
> injections to reduce disc swelling. Now my BG is hovering at 220-240.
> Can't get the BG down. I'm not use to taking large boluses. Do any of you
> have suggestions on a bolus % increase.
> I also don't know just how long the affects of the steroids will last. I
> have had steroids before but have not noticed quite such resistance to
> insulin.
> I called my Endo and all I got was drink lots of water and come in to see
> us tomorrow and I can't get through to the Pain Dr who did the procedure.
> 30 min + on hold.
> I was just hoping for some practical wisdom from you'all.     I just
> doubled my basal rate. I'd prefer not to get a huge awful low later or
> tonight.
> Thanks,
> Mikki
> *Mikki Lee Weaver*
> *845-658-7344*
> *email @ redacted <email @ redacted> * b

Thank you everyone for your assistance. My back pain was such that there
was no chance of healing if I didn't get the steroid injections.
Its clear now after some research and your help that Steroids can double or
quadroopal your normal blood sugars. Steroids also increase insulin
resistance.
Over the day yesterday I increased my basal from .6 to .8 to 1.4 to 2.0. I
got results a 2.0.   I made a new basal profile for the steroid use. I also
took injections, keeping them recorded in my Dexcom and also a bolus from
the pump but smaller so I could see the timing of insulin on board. I am a
light sleeper so the Dexcom wakes me up easily to check whats going on. I
did increase my Alert BG high #'s to 300 so I could get some sleep. I must
have checked the Dexcom 6 times in the night. I finally saw BG coming down
then I hit my low alert at 75. Had my sweet stuff I sleep with by the bed
and rebounded a bit. I have been better but when I ate breakfast  I went up
over 200 again.. b
bIt seems that bolus doses need to be doubled or more. THe injection/bolus
bcombo works well with lots of finger sticks and dexcom. I'm eating very
light too. Lots of water. I called the Endo yesterday and he wanted me to
come in today 5;45pm to adjust my pump settings. Ha Ha Ha Ha.... if I
waited for him I'd have been in the ER in ketosis.
I've been doing this for 29yrs. I have had steroid injections for allergic
reactions but they have Not done this to my blood sugar like the spinal
injections. I hope this works cuz I don't want to do this again.Hope my
above insights help someone dealing with the same thing. I'm not sure how
long this might last. I saw other posts about steroids and diabetes on
other forums and it was from 3 days to 2 weeks.
I'm going to go for a short walk now.
Blessings,
Mikki
Mikki Lee Weaver