Re: [IP] How to get brave with insulin again after a bad low blood sugar?

Just when I think I have things figured out after 45 years with
diabetes, I get hit once again by a low. Just two days ago I had
breakfast before going out to work in the yard . I under-bolused
knowing I would be using the carbs in my system. I felt fine when I
finished my work of about a half an hour. But a couple of hours later
I could not concentrate on the book I was reading. My husband was
talking to me and I could not quite understand what he was saying.
"Have you tested lately?" he asked. It was about time for my after
meal test. No, I do not have a CGM. So I proceed to my little machine
and low and behold, my BG was 44. My husband promptly gave me a candy
I usually use for lows; but I felt like I was falling even further.
Usually I don't feel a low until it is that low.

The lesson from all this and others is that I prefer being a little
higher than what we deem acceptable BG, somewhere in the 180-200 after
a meal because I know I still have active insulin on board. In your
case, I wonder if lowering your carb-to-insulin ratio would make you
feel better. Or if you were to take a dual wave bolus based on what
you have on your plate, so you have a small amount of insulin now and
some more over an extended period. If you find or the CGM alerts you
that you are going low, you have the option of cancelling the extended
portion of the insulin you previously programmed.

Trial and error is our way of life. A friend, who is not a diabetic,
once remarked "there must be way to have your sugar always at the same
level". Yea, right.  Good luck to you.