[IP] How to get brave with insulin again after a bad low blood sugar?

Hi everyone,
There is a lot of wisdom on this site, which I greatly appreciate. I've
learned so much from all of you!
A while back, I had a weird situation where my BG was only 95 just about 90
minutes after a meal, which had been much more protein than usual. So I
still had 4.5 active insulin going. I wasn't using the Dexcom at the time,
but I knew my sugar was dropping. I kind of panicked, only because of the
amount of insulin still active, and I ate a lot of food quickly, which
 made me feel pretty sick (I'll spare you the details of that.)  It took
over an hour for my sugar to start to come back up again.
Now, I've actually had type 1 for 28 years, and overall have managed it
well. I've also had tons of lows over the years, as we all have, so I don't
know why this particular one hit me so hard. But it did, and I have not
regained control of my blood sugar ever since. It's like I've become phobic
of insulin, so I keep under-dosing, to avoid another bad low like that.
I do realize that 95 is not low, and before I started pumping, i would
routinely have lows in the 40s. The only reason I panicked was because of
the amount of insulin still active.
After this happened, I started wearing the Dexcom, which is great. But I'm
taking a break from it for now. It also didn't help me feel any more
confident in taking larger boluses.
I would love to know how other people have gotten brave with their boluses
again, after a bad low sugar experience.
Thank you so much!
Sharon