Re: [IP] bolusing for protein

Here is what I've been figuring out and it's not 100%.  I don't think the
protein is the problem and that's not why you have to take extra insulin,
assuming you are eating it with some carbs.  Very often the proteins we eat
are laden with fat, such as bacon, sausage and cheese.  Fats make us
insulin resistant and that is why you need to add on the extra insulin and
extend the bolus.

Here is the experiment I did:  I was told by my doc that I should eat more
protein.  So, two eggs at breakfast joined the menu several times a week.
I eat it with cereal and almond milk.  It's amazing how the added protein
stops my BG from going up and I stay amazing level in the morning and
sometimes even go low.  Then I decided to have the same thing, but I added
cheese to the mix and what a difference.  The cheese made me insulin
resistant which caused me to go higher and the added protein no longer
protected me from the spike (a slight spike).

So, this is what I conclude.  If you eat a nice chunk of meat with nothing
else, you may need some insulin as the body will use the protein as a carb
to some degree.  If you eat it with a carbs and it's a low fat meat (such
as chicken), you really don't need to dose for the protein.  On the other
hand, if it's a big fat chunk of fatty meat, I'd take some extra insulin
and extend the bolus.

Just my thoughts.  Susan