[IP] Re: Freestyle strip recall... and more questions

Melody:  My OmniPod pumper daughter received the same letter on Monday and
received her 400 replacement strips yesterday (Wed).  We haven't done any
control solution testing, but before the new strips arrived we did compare
results from the supposedly affected strips with results from a One Touch
Ultra during a very high episode.  The Freestyle meter in her PDM read 80
points lower than the Ultra.  Hmmm.  Even though none of our lot numbers of
Freestyle strips were those of the original 20 lots that were recalled in
November/December, maybe they have been reading consistently lower than her
actual BG for some time now.  Could explain the exhaustion and short temper
she's exhibited for the past few months--and the A1c in December of 7.8.  She
has consumed far too many boxes of Juicy Juice to correct or protect from lows
this winter.

My question:  Since we used her OmniPod readings to calibrate her DexCom G4, I
am assuming that her CGM data has also been compromised.  Does that make
sense?

Another question:  Can you use the same control solution for meters from
different manufacturers?  Wonder if that was why your Aviva gave lower
readings in your trial...

Final question for now:  Michael, we don't have a Freestyle Freedom, so can't
make use of our 400-plus Freestyle strips that are no longer approved for her
OmniPod.  Can I send them to IP to be redistributed to someone who has a
Freedom meter?
Will stick them in the mail pronto if you want them.

Charlotte
Mama to Annie, dx'd at age 3, Christmas 1997, pumper since 2000, currently
OmniPod and DexCom G4 user

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful!"

On Feb 27, 2014, at 6:58 AM, insulin-pumpers-digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:59:39 -0500
> From: Melody Daniels <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Freestyle/OmniPod test strip recall
>
> I received a letter on Monday from Abbott, makers of Freestyle, saying that
> the test strips I was using might read erroneously low in my built-in
OmniPod