[IP] G4, anyone tried this

I was on day 19 of my sensor and decided it was time to replace it.
 So I inserted the new sensor. Now the question is, what happens if I do not
tell the G4 that I have inserted a new sensor.
Will it be OK after a few calibrations?
I took the cowards way out and first stopped and then restarted the G4.
Next time, I will give it a go and report back.
 I could have done a side by side since late last December, they replaced my
entire system. My transmitter was dead, but my old receiver was, and still is
working. So I could have NOT told the old receiver but used the new receiver
with new sensor.
Ah science.

Thanks for any input.

John H