Re: [IP] Running an experiiment

Having  worked at a biotech company in both fermentation/purification and
quality control testing, I can tell you that the companies do stability
testing on all of the products (from the starting material, intermediates, and
final product) to see when the efficacy of their product diminishes. (I think
that it is a requirement to perform stability testing but not 100% sure on
that). I am sure if you were interested, you could always contact the insulin
company and request results from a particular batch to find what their results
were on the stability of the insulin you are using.

>From my experience with the pharmaceutical drugs that were manufactured at
this company (and not speaking for insulin products), the stability of the
produced product was well into years when stored in cool/cold temperatures
(freezing for lyophilized or pellet products). Various temperatures and
climate conditions (humidity, for instance) were used to see what the effect
was on different environments on the products produced as the products went
all over the globe to treat various conditions. And I believe we had to keep
each lot produced for a minimum of 5 or so years after the lot was produced as
a just in case.

Having said that, I would assume (and with lots of "testing" to see if the
insulin was still effective), that if insulin was stored at room temp, it may
be good for at least 6 months, and fridge storage, perhaps a year or longer,
depending upon climate of where you are (California is widely different
between the Northern and Southern parts of the state, as are Oregon, Kansas
and Delaware, for instance).

Obviously when it is not effective, then to toss it out as it is not effective
in treating us when we need it

Just my two cents.

Jenny

On Monday, February 24, 2014 8:59 AM, d-d <email @ redacted> wrote:

I would guess that dates on insulin run kind of like the dates printed
on milk cartons. Milk is supposed to be drinkable for a week after its
expiration date - if you've kept in the fridge.  For insulin, room
temperature from September through March might not be all that bad, either.

I am on a pump vacation at the moment and using up Lantus that's been in
my refrigerator for 16 months because my BGs would not stay where I
wanted them.  The Lantus is working just the way it should. Now it seems
that some bottles of Humalog are less effective than others.  For
example, I took 10 units of insulin (Lot C147611A) last night for a 1
carb dinner and was just fine all evening.  IMHO, that vial is not at
full potency.  But if it is bad absorption as Marshall suggests, a pump
vacation gives my sites a rest.

The only way to find out if that insulin is any good is to use it on
yourself.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a test strip that we could
put a drop of insulin on and have it change color?

Denise Br.