Re: [IP] Running an experiiment

I would guess that dates on insulin run kind of like the dates printed
on milk cartons. Milk is supposed to be drinkable for a week after its
expiration date - if you've kept in the fridge.  For insulin, room
temperature from September through March might not be all that bad, either.

I am on a pump vacation at the moment and using up Lantus that's been in
my refrigerator for 16 months because my BGs would not stay where I
wanted them.  The Lantus is working just the way it should. Now it seems
that some bottles of Humalog are less effective than others.  For
example, I took 10 units of insulin (Lot C147611A) last night for a 1
carb dinner and was just fine all evening.  IMHO, that vial is not at
full potency.  But if it is bad absorption as Marshall suggests, a pump
vacation gives my sites a rest.

The only way to find out if that insulin is any good is to use it on
yourself.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a test strip that we could
put a drop of insulin on and have it change color?