From: "Stacey Martin" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 5:01:13 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Adjusting basal rates for surgery

B I got lucky when I had rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago. The
anesthesiologist was a pumper! I turned basals down by 50% and he monitored
me.
He even gave me a bolus before I woke up. They didn't use a glucose drip, just
saline. He was great.

B Actually, during a uterine ablation and colonoscopy and 2 hand surgeries and
arthroscopic knee surgery I kept my pump (not all at the same time!). They
left
it up to my endo who is all fir me keeping my pump.

B I've been lucky. But other than the rotator cuff, they were all short
procedures.

B It so irks me that doctors want us on lantus which is so wildly useless for
many of us given our 24 hour variations in basal needs. Medical laziness.

Stacey M

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 21, 2014, at 18:55, Mike McKinlay <email @ redacted> wrote:

B > They told me the same thing for my knee joint replacement surgery. I
removed
it
B > begrudgingly... but I kept it with me and put it back on in recovery. I
did
my
> own bg testing from then on allowing them to test me also, but I
administered
B > the insulin. It's has been my experience that they generally don't seem to
have