[IP] RE: Adjusting basals for surgery

>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:51:46 -0800
>Yessi Pal said:
>
>I'm getting a hysterectomy and bladder surgery this Monday.  Can anyone
>suggest how to adjust my basal rates for this?  I've heard to reduce them
>by 50%.  Any tips you could give me on this whole process would be great.
>I've never had surgery or full anesthesia before.

 I have been on the pump for all my surgeries since 2008. I always argued to
keep it on since I can manage my blood sugar better than the doctors and nurses
in the hospital. The anesthesiologist usually asked me to reduce my basal by 50%
during surgery. Thankfully, the anesthesioligists had heard of pumps. Once I was
awake, I was able to manage my insulin.

Padma Bending
dx'ed 2/2001, Type 2
530G with Enlite