Re: [IP] Adjusting basal rates for surgery

Yessi,
You need to talk with the gas man ASAP. He's the one who will have to deal
with your basal settings. And he's the one who really needs to know about
your pump settings. I've had two 6+ hour back surgeries. The gas man was
fine with me wearing my pump during the surgeries, and he's the one who
recommended the basal rates.

There's no reason to have surgery without your pump, unless the surgeon or
gas man refuses to deal with the pump. It's too late now for you, but pump
recognition and use is one of my criteria for selecting surgeons, gas men,
hospitals, etc. Most of the time, if "they" won't let you keep your pump
on, they also do other really stupid stuff -- like glucose IVs, regular
insulin instead of fast acting, and not testing your BG frequently enough.

Good luck on your surgery.
Diane