[IP] Re: Medicare and CGM

Curyl and Greg,

 Is 'Curyl' your name? I aam frustrated by your continuing redundant posts about
Medicare and your excellent coverage through SDI in Indiana. This is an issue of
deep concern for many of us on Medicare. The facts are that Medicare policy is
based on local policy articles, such as NHIC A33614, which deny CGM coverage
because it is precautionary. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
(CMS) based in Baltimore, MD, have refused to issue a national coverage
determination (NCD) that would allow CGM coverage when it is medically
reasonable and documented with a letter of medical necessity.

 You are very forrtunate to receive full coverage for CGM. However, there are
many more of us who are forced to pay for CGM out of pocket or cannot afford CGM
because of bureaucratic refusal to make any changes to a ridiculous policy that
is out of date and not cost effective. The complications of severe hypoglycemia,
which you may have been able to avoid, include seizures, coma, cognitive
impairmant, and death. Why don't you contact your represenative in Congress and
ask him or her to support HR3710, The Medicare CGM Coverage Act?

 You claim that nothing more needs to be done. You could not be more wrong. The
tone of your posts comes across like none of us know what we are talking about.
It would be helpful if you could add something to a serious discussion. The well
meaning people who have posted at IP are trying to support changes that would
help many of us on Medicare. We are very frustrated by the lack of response to
our very legitimate concerns.

I wish you well, Curyl, or whatever your name is.

 Greg: Lack of Medicare coverage for CGM is consistent in all states. I believe
'Curyl' gets coverage in IN because of his SDI status. HR 3710 is not a partisan
bill. It can only pass if both parties support it.

Jerry Smith
Rochester, NY