Re: Re: [IP] Screening at LAX airport-Update

Jenny, 21, flew to India last August for a study abroad. She went through
security in San Diego, Newark, New Delhi, and Kolkata both coming and
going. She had an Animas back up pump, as well as the one connected to her
body. When she insisted that that pumps could not be xrayed, the US
airports decided she needed to put a battery in the loaner and demonstrate
that it was a pump. She also had go through secondary screening and have
both pumps "swabbed,. Her real complaint was the rudeness she encountered.
She is a very pleasant person and understood why that they were nervous
about the pumps. She did not appreciate the attitude, at San Diego and
Newark, that went along with the screening. She said that security
personnel in India treated her much more nicely. By the way, Animas did not
complain that she had had to break the seal and put a battery in the pump.

In January, she went to Costa Rica and chose not to take a backup pump. She
was still "swabbed", this time at LAX and Charlottesville, both directions.

As I read about TSA procedures, it doesn't seem like this should be
happening to her every time she passes through an airport.