[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V10 #795

Well, Cynthia, my pump failed around 10 p.m. and I did call the pump  company
to order a replacement before the call to the dr. I called the doctor to  get
an Rx for NPH since the replacement was not to arrive until sometime
 Saturday. It's been a long time since I've used NPH and wanted some assistance
with
converting my dose. I guess the overwhelming lesson from you and the  dr. last
night is to not call a dr. in the middle of the night when your pump  fails.
Despite Marie's kind response, apparently I did do something wrong. I  won't
make the same mistake again.
Deanna

Well, I guess I am not sure why the middle of the night call?  I would  call
the pump company to get a new one shipped asap, but not a doctor.   I have
had my pump fail 6 times now and have never had to call a doctor  except once
to get a Rx for Lantus.  I have since decided to not use  Lantus as part of
my back-up plan.  I just bolus a lot with Humalog (or  Novalog) and keep
checking my BG.  I have never had to wait more than a  day and a half to get
my replacement pump...oh wait, once it was a full 2  days.  So, I guess my
question is "what did you want the doctor to do  for you?"  Did you need a Rx
for something?  If the doctor on call  was not an endo, I honestly doubt that
they would have been much use to  you.  As far as getting "fired" from your
doctor, I do think that sucks  and would seek out a better co-worker in this
disease.  Before embarking  on a new doctor quest, ask yourself what went
wrong with the last one?   How can communication be improved and what are
your expectations and are they  realistic?  I am sorry this happened and hope
that your new pump arrives  safe and sound very soon.
Regards,  Cynthia