RE: [IP] lows

--- Marshall <email @ redacted> wrote:
> The other night I was so low that I had trouble
> operating the controls on my MiniMed...go figure?
> We have this high tech computer that needs a
> competent
> operator to work properly. How do people deal with
> all
> the buttons and settings when your brain lacks
> enough
> glucose to think?

If you're that low, what exactly are you doing with
the pump?  Why not just treat it, and ignore the pump?
 Unless you plan on eating a full meal anyway and will
need to bolus, of course.  If it's a matter of wanting
to enter all of your info into the pump you can do
that after you've treated and are feeling better.

One time I woke up in the middle of the night and was
low.  For some stupid reason I entered my BG and
treatment carbs into the pump and just hit the ACT
button automatically.  It recommended & delivered a
bolus, which meant I woke up a couple of hours later
even lower.  I fixed that by: 1. not entering my low
BG info into the pump and 2. changing my late night
insulin:carb ratio to a very high number so the pump
wouldn't recommend a bolus unless I also put in a huge
amount of carbs.

> I also have a rant about what do you do when
> attending a theater production were you are asked to
> turn off cell phones and anything else that beeps?

I'd set the alarm to vibrate.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987