From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 9:59 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] dr. rejection after pump failure in the middle of the
night?

I have not posted in a very long time. But I'm feeling upset and
confused
 this morning and completely depressed about having diabetes and an
unfortunate
incident last night. I need some help and am hoping someone amongst our
group
can offer insight.
My pump failed last night and required me to convert to NPH and Novolog

 injections until the replacement arrives. I followed procedure to reach
the dr.
on call where I seek treatment. It took several attempts for the
receptionist
 to reach the dr. via pager during with I waited more than a half an
hour. Once
the  dr. made contact with me, I questioned the long wait and she was
less
than  pleasant and didn't apologize and blamed the delay on a faulty
pager
 battery. During the phone call, she asked me to repeat information
several
times
and  seemed confused and distracted. When I grew frustrated with this,
she
 suggested I go to the emergency room and scolded me like a child and
eventually
said she  was going to call me back and hung up. I am 36. Diabetic 15
years.
Pumper for  six. My a1c has been highter than 7 only twice. I did not
pick up
the phone when  she called back. I instead emailed my regular
endocrinologist
 about the experience. His response was kind, but included a
recommendation that
I find a  local on-call endocrinologist who can help me should my pump
fail
 in the middle of the night (my dr. is about an hour away from where I
live). I
have asked for  clarification of the recommendation. It appears I am now

 being rejected as a patient. And I'm not sure how having a local
endocrinologist
makes a difference  over the phone in the middle of the night.
Any thoughts from anyone?
Thanks,
Deanna
t1 since 1992, pumper since 02

In a message dated 2/28/2008 9:40:26 A.M. Central Standard Time,