[IP] Pros & Cons of new pumps on the market?

At 11:58 AM 2/24/2005, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:54:35 +0000
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IP] Pros & Cons of new pumps on the market?

>The Minimed 715 bothers me that it uses proprietary infusion sets, and a AAA
>battery? What were they thinking? Doesnbt this thing need new AAAbs every
>other week? I like long life batteries that wont leave me stranded; especially
>proprietary ones that insurance will pay for. Ibve heard a lot of problems
>with
>the BD meter and the strips. Still a problem? Does anyone use any other
>meter? I
>really donbt want to switch from my Lifescan One Touch Ultra. For me, itbs the
>perfect meter. What features make this a great pump? Features that I would use
>every day, and improve my current treatment.

I thought the same thing about the AAA battery when I went from a MM 508 to
a 712 and now the 715.  However, I could not have been more wrong.  I use
the Vibrate function ONLY, the backlight, and also the remote for
boluses.  These things are supposed to reduce battery life a decent
amount.  However, I easily get 6 to 8 weeks out of each AAA battery.  I do
use the Energizer battery that MM says I should.

Also, if you do go with MiniMed, don't even open the BD Link meter.  In my
opinion, it's junk.  You can read posts from this list of the documented
failures of this meter.  I tested in triplicate for more than a week.  I
had several readings off by as much as 70 points!!  They sent me a new one,
and I did the same test.  Same results.  Several readings were WAY off.  I
absolutely refuse to put my driver's license, the safety of my family, and
my own personal welfare into the hands of a meter that is simply not
reliable.

Instead, I use two meters: a Lifescan One Touch Ultra Smart, and a backup
for a Lifescan One Touch Ultra.  You can easily enter the blood sugars into
the pump manually to use with the bolus wizard.

I've never used a Cozmo, so I really can't compare, but I'm very happy with
the MM 715.

I strongly encourage you to spend some time reading about the nuances of
each meter and educate yourself.  After that, just pick the one that fits
you and your lifestyle the best.

Good luck,

-Patrick
Dxd 1983