[IP] The Little Company Who Could - Letter to Editor of Business Week

Here is my letter to the editor:

This is in response to an article, "J&J May Pump Up Animas" by GeneC.
Marcial on February 28, 2005.  As an individual that has Type 1 diabetes
and uses an insulin pump, it is very upsetting to me when a reporter
does not do their homework and reports incorrect information to the
public.  In the article the insulin pump was referred to as a "glucose
pump."  It also states that the "glucose pump" is used to "monitor sugar
in the blood."  This is grossly incorrect.  It is an "Insulin Pump",
which is used to mimic the release of insulin to lower blood glucose
levels (not "sugar" levels)in our bodies.  In my case, 80% of my
pancreas was removed and therefore I do not have the ability to produce
insulin (which a normal functioning pancreas is responsible for doing in
individuals that do not have Type 1 diabetes).  The pump does not
monitor "sugar in the blood."  We still have to use meters to test our
blood glucose levels.  As far as I know, the pump has also not come far
enough to be able to automatically determine how many carbs a person has
eaten and automatically adjust the rate of insulin being delivered.  I
must determine how many carbohydrates I will be eating - input that
information into the pump's system and based on that information and
what my most recent blood glucose meter reading, it can calculate how
much insulin to deliver when I eat (or to correct highs).  There is so
much inaccurate information about Type 1 Diabetes that it really upsets
me and other individuals that suffer from this condition when a
profession that helps keep the public informed - such as News Agencies &
Publications - does not get their facts straight.  I hope in the future
that someone ensures the accuracy of what you are reporting.