[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #702

"Barbara Young" <email @ redacted> wrote:
> The H-tron pump was sold as a two pump system, so you always had
> a back up pump in case of emergency.  We have never needed a
> back-up pump, despite what some marketing people from a competing
> pump company may have said.

The backup was the selling factor for me that got me to decide on the H-Tron
all those years ago.  I never needed it, but it was a GREAT reassurance,
especially when travelling.

The "other" company rep tried to pull the same "they give you one because
you need it" trick on me, but I pointed out some simple math to her which
shut her right up.

Let's assume (for illustrative purposes) that on any given day, the single
pump from company X has a 1 in 10,000 chance of failing for some reason.  If
that happens, I'm without a pump until they ship the replacement to me.

Now let's assume that the Htron was more likely to fail, say 1 in 1000 on
any given day.  What are the odds of BOTH of them failing at the same time,
leaving me without a pump at all (ie the same scenario as the single pump
from company X failing)?  1 in 1,000,000 (1000 * 1000).  So even if the
Htron WERE less reliable (which I never experienced), with two of them you
were still far less likely to ever have to switch back to shots in an
emergency.

(Given the 1 in 10,000 chance for company X to fail on a given day, the
Htron failure rate has to drop all the way to 1 in 100 to be as likely to
end up pumpless.  These numbers are for illustrative purposes only, but they
function well to show why I went with the two pump company at the time.)

--Greg