Re: [IP] Insurance and Your Second Pump

In a message dated 2/3/05 11:43:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>I thought that myself when the IR1200 first came out.  When I got my
>IR1000, I was using over 100 units of insulin a day, but as my control
>has gotten better, my usage has dropped to around 40-50 units a day.

I've read and heard that the average person uses about 25% less insulin on
the pump.  That would still keep me over 100 units a day, but I have had an
 interesting trend since the end of July. I started using insulin in June, and
by
the end of July thought I had titrated the basal properly at 36 units.  My
numbers were coming into the right places, except for my dawn effect.  I'm not
using 88 units of lantus, and still have a profound dawn effect.  I've always
 wondered if the lantus is somehow not effective in me or something. My numbers
are actually worse than they were in July with three times as much basal and
meal insulin.  I'm very curious to see what happens when I start the pump and
drop lantus.

>Along with some weight.

I gained 50 lbs after diagnosis.  The only explanation anyone can come up
with is that I went undiagnosed for a long time (had lost 10 lbs in the year
 prior to diagnosis) but had also started a med that encourages weight gain, so
the
weight loss of high BG and the med cancelled each other out, and once my BG
came down, the weight came on.  Luckily I've stopped gaining.

I'm almost excited... can't wait to get the thing and start playing with it.
My CDE told me I'd do the saline thing first to go through a set change, then
start insulin a week later (my schedule and hers) so am hoping for the saline
the week of the 21st and insulin the week of the 28th.

Thanks,
Stacey