[IP] Re: Diluting

Hi Paula---I think I've read all the comments so far about diluting.
There are a "few adult IPers" out here, me and a tiny group that I know
(besides the children in the group), who did the dilution routine (with
Humalog) for the first years on our MiniMed pumps that delivered only
.1u at a time, nothing smaller. It was just too big a dose especially
when delivered only once or twice an hour (eg., with a .2 or .1 basal),
but also sometimes too small to keep the pump running
smoothly---possible clogging, etc. We diluted 1:1 or even 1:4 to get
the right concentration possibilities, essential for basals. We
obtained "free" diluent from Eli Lilly, delivered directly to the
pharmacist of one's choice who called in the order for it.

Everyone who answered you is absolutely right---NO to water as a
diluent--that is crazy!!!!!!!  However, within the past year, I "think"
I read that diluent production was being discontinued by Lilly and I
can perhaps guess why if that's true.  Although the diluent was a great
solution for producing smaller concentrations of insulin, the newer
pumps with smaller and more frequent basal delivery changed the picture
completely.  I was thrilled to get my Animas 1000 with the .05 basal
possibility and even better, the upgrade to the Animas 1200 with the
.025 basal variations.  Unfortunately, you may not be in a position to
get a pump right this minute with the appropriate delivery
possibilities for you.  It does make an enormous difference when you
use small amounts of insulin.  You absolutely need the insulin you get
but the differences in those small amounts can really affect how you
feel. Dilution is relatively easy but if you need to do it I would call
Lilly and check about the availability of diluent these days.

Barbara