[IP] Re: Insulet

At 4:55 PM -0600 2/2/05, rscdaytona wrote:
>I think you people may be misunderstanding about what the Insulet
>is actually supposed to do.. It is supposed to take your BG reading
>then automatically give insulin to correct your BG. That's why for
>one, it is disposable. There working with minimed now. From what I
>hear . Its no worse then what everyone has to do now . As for
>throwing away infusion sets and so forth. There would  be no tubing
>to dispose of, So less trash rather than more. The article was
>outdated but that was the only picture I could find. Although I
>didn't look very hard . I think what they are trying to do is create
>an artificial pancreas or as close to 1 as they can get. What I
>think is going to happen is there going to wait on the automatic
>delivery of insulin until that can be perfected . I do think very
>shortly they are going to have continues BG readings threw your
>infusion set, that will be transferred to your pump maybe every 5 to
>10 minutes. If that happens  I know its going to, very shortly. It
>would make it a lot easier on me , all I would have to do is look at
>my pump to see my BG rather than having to get my meter out poke my
>finger and then wait 5 seconds for the results then of course you
>have to throw the strip away. I hope to see this product very soon.
>I know its coming but I don't know any dates.. .

You might want to read the 2003 Annual Report from Medtronic,
particularly pages 33 and 58 where they discuss MRG and the efforts
on the MM2007 and their CGMS system.   I spoke with a MM Rep the
other day and what he confirmed to me was that the Guardian I system
would be coming out which would communicate directly to the 515/715
pumps and tell the pump when you went over/under certain thresholds.
This would cause the pump to alarm/vibrate, but as far as commanding
the pump to dose insulin, that seems to be reserved for the MM2007,
not any of the external pumps at this time.     :>)

George