Re: [IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

Neither my husband nor I have diabetes.  My brother was 17 when he was
diagnosed with Type 1, my other brother was diagnosed at age 39 because of
 hemochromatosis (iron overload, the high iron damaged his pancreas/it is an
inherited
disease where your body cannot eliminate most of the iron in your body).  My
son was just diagnsoed in April 2004 with Tpye 1, not from hemochromatosis.  I
 would not have changed having kids knowing of both diseases. It is a managable
disease.  You never know what the dice will land with..kids can get cancer,
asthma, birth defects.  We cannot predict everything.  Your child could be the
person who may find a cure for one of these diseases.