RE: [IP] RE: pravachol vs lipitor

I tried Lipitor for about 4 weeks, I did not agree with me. I've been on
Zetia for some time have come down 23 points.  Has anyone else tried it.

jimb

Based on my personal experience, I would say that generally, the
different statins are interchangable (much as different ACE inhibitors
are) because they all work in a similar manner, but they will not work
the same for everyone -- YMMV.  They are not carbon copies of one another
the way generic drugs are of their name-brand counterparts, so each
statin works a bit differently because they have different chemical
structures.  I was originally prescribed Zocor (Merck's statin) and after
a few months, I had unusual liver readings, so my endo recommended
switching to Lipitor.  Since switching to Lipitor (Pfizer's statin), all
my readings have come back normal, so I am guessing that Zocor didn't
work for me, but perhaps for someone else, it will work fine.  The only
way you can know for sure is to try it, but be sure to have your doctor
follow-up with appropriate blood tests to make sure.

The important thing to note with statins and ACE inhibitors is that they
are recommended as preventative measures, but they are not necessary for
survival as insulin is.  If cost is a serious consideration, keep in mind
that despite a few studies sponsored by the drug companies and ADA
recommendations (in spite of higher risk of heart problems for type 2
moreso than type 1), no one truly requires a statin or ACE inhibitor,
nor are they guarantees that you will not experience heart or
kidney problems, they are only preventative measures.

I had a similar experience with ACE inhibitors, and tried several until I
found a generic one (lisinopril) that worked as well as the non-formulary
Altace (ramipril) and the more expensive Acupril (quniapril).  I asked my
doc because I said if I was taking these drugs temporarily, I wouldn't
bother, but they were being prescribed as a long-term treatment with no
forseeable end, therefore cost was something I wanted to consider.  My
doc was very helpful in this matter, as he recommended taking a slightly
higher dose (20 mg instead of 10 with Acupril) based on my BP readings.
The results work great, and the cost is really low.  Your experience will
be individual, so its important for you to ensure that your doc is
ordering the appropriate tests for follow-up, so make sure you are vocal
and ask what tests they are ordering, and that they discuss the results
of those tests with you.  Some docs are very good about this, but others
need to be prompted by their patients.  YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Scott