[IP] Re: Insulet picture (Disposable pumps)

On Wednesday, February 2, 2005,  Artorius Rex <email @ redacted>
wrote:

> Does the idea of a disposable insulin pump bother anyone else?   It
> could just
> be me, but creating a society dependant upon disposable consumables is
> acting
> for trouble and creating bad habits.

You know what really bothered me?  This statement:

> In addition, Insulet claims the patch will be cheaper for payers.
>
> Payers, on average, hold on to their patients for about a year and a
> half, said chief executive Tom Wood. If (the pump) lasts four years,
> theyre essentially paying for someone elses patient. Ours is
> disposable, so they only pay for the patients actual use.

  Doesn't this make YOU feel all warm and cozy? Decisions on what
treatments are offered to us are being based on how well they fit into
our ridiculously inefficient (and often unfair) insurance systems --
it's hard enough that they are based on how much money someone can make
on them.