Re: [IP] Retinopathy and laser question

I used to get fairly massive bleeds in the left eye about once a year
and it took about 3-4 moths before I could see at all out of the
affected eye and more like 6 until vision was normal.  I had two
vitrectomies on the right eye (had another major bleed about a year
after the first one; second one, at Wills Eye Clinic (the day of the
"storm of the century" when the regular staff couldn't get into the
hospital after surgery and I stayed longer than expected because I
was stuck) they used so much laser I have only pinpoint central
vision in that eye.  Then the left started, and they couldn't get the
offending vessels because the area that kept bleeding was right over
the optic nerve.  When I had a bleed after only two months of good
vision a year ago last fall, the doctor here sent me down to
Anchorage for a vitrectomy there by Dr. Swanson.  He physically
snipped the offending vessels (I could see the scissors--they used
lots of tranquilizers and local anesthetic) and (knock wood) I
haven't had a bleed since.    It does take time for the blood to
resorb, several months in my case, and my eye doctor here says the
vitrectomy will probably speed the development of cataracts.  (I've
already had lens replacement in the right eye.)   But after over ten
years of being unable to drive about half the time it was definitely
worth it.  Just wish I could see the floor and where I'm going at the
same time!
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska