Re: [IP] diluted insulin

At 9:49 AM -0500 2/2/05, Paula Bosarge wrote:
>My minimed rep/advisor wants me to dilute my insulin with water - tap
>water - so that I'd be using a solution of 50% humalog & 50% water.  (I've
>been having trouble with my sites lasting long enough, and she's convinced
>it's because my basal rates aren't high enough.  I stay @ .2 all day except
>for a few hours during the morning.  For the past 2 weeks, however, all of
>my sites - I use silhouettes - have lasted 3 or 3 1/2 days!)  Does anyone
>else dilute their insulin?  This really scares me!!  What if I don't get the
>water measured perfectly?  Wouldn't it just be easier to use a U-50 insulin?
>My advisor said U-50 was an option, but she preferred to dilute hers.  (She
>used to dilute when she was smaller & had lower basals.)

I think you had better speak with someone who is medically qualified.
You CERTAINLY would NOT use "tap water".   There is a specific
diluent for Humalog, the use of anything else may lead to an
incomplete distribution causing spotty problems.   There is no
manufactured U-50 insulin.

       http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/cgi/docs/humalog-diluent.html

George