[IP] Pump upgrades - What happens to old pump?

My daughter is going to be upgrading her Minimed 507C soon.  I have
been assuming that since we paid for 20% of the pump, we get to keep it.
Is that correct?  If so, then the question is, how do we store this pump
so that it can be used as a "back-up"?  Just keep batteries in it? Liz B.