[IP] RE: Early a.m. exercise question

KarenL -

I think I know what you are talking about with exercise.  I recently
switched from being an "after work" (5pm) exerciser to a "before work"
exerciser (somehow I get up!).  My doctor informed me a while ago that while
you still have insulin running through your system (from previous lunch,
snack, etc.), your muscles use this "extra" insulin while you exercise to
bring down your blood sugars (therefore, why you needed an extra snack if
you are in the normal range).  So, when I exercise after work (which is
usually within 3-4 hours since my last bolus, I know that I need to start at
160-ish (I disconnect while working out and work out vigorously for an hour)
to end at around 80-ish after the workout.  If I am at 200-ish...I know that
I cannot give the full correction bolus, as the insulin I put into my body
will be magnified due to the workout and I would go low.  So, it took a
while to figure this all out and how it relates to my body, but I got it

So, when I started working out in the AM...there is no extra insulin
working, since I have just been sleeping...and therefore, I need to be below
140 in order to not go HIGH after working out.  My doctor also infomed me of
this phenomenon...everybody has a certain BG "limit" in the case where there
is no extra insulin working.  My limit is 140-ish....above this number, I
will go high if I work out...below or right at this number, I stay about the
same.  Just beware when working out in the AM, and you wake up with a high
blood sugar...don't fully correct the number...for me, I would only correct
it to take my blood sugar to 160-170...and then working out does the rest.
Does this make sense?  I hope so!

Dani Davidson
Almost pumping a year now!