RE: [IP] Question for Athletes

Kelsey Metcalf [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I appreciate hearing what other
> diabetics do when
> breaking in shoes and also when dealing with blisters without
> pausing their
> workouts.

Years ago, when I was a grad student at UCLA, I worked part time at a
Phidippides store (the one in Marina Del Rey).  Shoes have changed somewhat
BUT . . . Proper fitting running shoes should be comfortable from the
get-go.  You should be able to run home from the store without blisters,
etc.  It could be that you are just buying the wrong brand.  Each
manufacturer has their own sets of lasts (the forms on which the shoes are
made).  It all depends on finding the manufacturer whose lasts are shaped
most like your foot.  In my case, I can wear Adidas, Nike, or Saucony.  New
Balance, ASICS, Brooks, Avia, and the others are fine for casual wear (I'm
wearing ASICS as I write this) but not for running or walking long distances
because their lasts are just the wrong shape.

Go to a reputable store that specializes in running shoes and apparel, such
as Phidippides stores and be very specific as to your needs.  BTW, running
shoes should last about 500 miles before they start to break down.

And you shouldn't have to pay more than $80.

Jim Handsfield