[IP] Lowest BG Ever

>>     A couple of nights ago I had a BG of 32. I have never had one so low
before. The really bad thing was that I didn't feel it coming on. Usually I
have a
warning, shakiness and a coppery taste in my mouth. This one hit me like a
truck and if my hubby hadn't been with me, I don't know that I would have
been able to get to my glucose tabs myself. I still can't figure out what
happened. I guess I have to chock it up to something pregnancy-related.
What's the lowest bg some of you guys have ever had?     <<

Hi Scullybee,

The lowest I have ever had MEASURED was sixteen. I was having just a LITTLE
trouble coordinating a kind of complicated launch of a toy sailplane that I
was flying with my then eleven year old son. "Daddy" he said, "go check your
blood sugar". It was sixteen. Two cookies later I was having much LESS
trouble launching that plane. I had a sugar measured at the doctor's office
many many years ago that was nineteen. I had ridden my bicycle to the
appointment (I was an up and coming bicycle racer in those days and rode my
bike everywhere). I rode home and had not the slightest idea that I had a
low blood sugar. In those days I could tell when my sugar was low because I
could not pedal smoothly. Of course in those days we did NOT have test
strips to measure blood glucose, only urine sugar. At any rate, the deal is
this: the more frequently you go about with a low sugar the more likely your
central nervous system is likely to accommodate to this "small"
inconvenience. You might know that pilots are required by the FAA to use
oxygen when flying above 13,000 feet. That is because the brain needs oxygen
to function just as it needs food (glucose). But, people who live at high
altitudes have NO problem functioning normally at altitudes greater than
twenty thousand feet. Most of the mountain guides in Nepal live at altitudes
greater than fifteen thousand feet and take climbers up Mt Everest without
the need for oxygen. It takes the body a while to get used to these limited
conditions, so if you want to learn to drive safely with a blood sugar of
thirty two just keep your sugar at that level for a month or two. There IS
one problem, though. When you DO get used to these levels your body stops
sending out warning signals when the sugar drops. Then at some point you
reach your threshold and BOINK you are unconscious. The same is true with
oxygen. It really is better to have the early warning. If you are climbing
or flying take oxygen with you. If you are driving or operating a heart lung
machine (hey, that's what I do!) it is probably best to HAVE these early
warnings. It is, of course, a good idea to take "oxygen" (some form of quick
acting glucose) with you on these "trips".

I suffered from hypoglycemic unawareness for decades and thought it was an
irreversible consequence of being diabetic. My new endocrinologist suggested
that if I let my sugar run above 150 CONSTANTLY for a week or two I would
regain my ability to sense low sugars before I became dangerously
incapacitated. He was right. They don't feel like they did forty years ago
when I first became dependent on exogenous insulin, but I certainly DO
notice the onset of a low sugar a lot more frequently not that I don't let
it stay low for such a large portion of my life.

That is not all there is, but I am running out of "paper". If you are REALLY
interested in hearing my professional opinions and experience, let me know.

Nick Trubov
and all the little Trubovs
Lorree, Eupie & Corbin