[IP] Re: Cozmo Insurance Fight

I too am fighting an Insurance company over the Cozmo.  Just out of
curiosity, are you on Aetna.  I am on an Aetna EPO plan, and have
been trying (unsuccessfully) for quite some time to get a Cozmo.  I
have been officially denied Benefits by Aetna, (Pre-Determination
denied) and I am working on an appeal.  My Deltec rep, and the Rep
from the Cozmo distributor (Keymed) are trying to help me with the
appeal letter.  You can read all about my experiences here:

I will keep my site up to date as I progress though the insurance
appeal.  With a little luck and a lot of determination, I believe I
will prevail.

>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:25:51 -0800 (PST)
>From: anna doemland <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Insurance Battle to get my Cozmo
>I just heard from Deltec about my pump...it turns out
>that because I am on the EPO health insurance through
>my work (it had the lowest co-pays for drugs and my
>physicians are covered so I chose it) there are NO
>'in-network' distributers who carry Deltec Cozmo
>insulin pumps.
>So, Deltec is going to get my physician to sign a
>statement of medical necessity and they are going to
>try to get an one-time exception to let me purchase my
>pump 'out-of-network'.  But, United Health Care has NO
>coverage for out of network durable medical equipment
>on the EPO plan, so I have a feeling it's going to be
>quite a battle.
>I am also contacting HR at work to see if I can switch
>from the EPO to the PPO plan because the pump
>distributer IS a participating provider in the PPO
>network.  Of course, it isn't open enrollment time of
>year, so I doubt they will let me switch insurance
>plans, but I am going to try.
>Any suggestions?  I really want the Cozmo, if I'd
>chosen any other vendor I doubt I'd be having this
>trouble, but someone has to pave the way, right?
>Thanks for listening!
>dx'd 1979
>pumping soon, I hope!

"Never offend people with style when you can
offend them with substance." --Sam Brown