[IP] sickle cell trait??

 so i just got my labs done the other day and then had a follow up at the endo,
and as we talked
 about my results and he leafed through my charts, he suddenly stopped and said,
"hey, here's
 something i didn't see before. did you know that you are positive for sickle
cell trait?" i was
 very surprised, but i know what sickle cell anemia and trait are and didn't
need an explanation.
 but then he said, "that might have affected the results of your a1c. next time
i'll order a total
 glycated hemoglobin instead of just an a1c." i was in kind of a hurry that day
and didn't have
 time to stick around for a big long biological explanation, but now i am
curious: how can sickle
 cell trait affect the results of your a1c? would it make your result
artificially high, or low?

 later i called my mom and told her about it and she said, "oh, i'm not
surprised you have it, i am
 positive for trait too and actually they found i have an unusually high
percentage of it. maybe we
 should see how high yours is one of these days." so i have sickle cell trait
and i guess the odds
 are that my percentage of it might be high, too; will this affect anything
about my a1cs more than
 if it were lower? anyone out there know anything about this?? i am very

Do you Yahoo!?