Re: [IP] ignorant comments about diabetes treatment (Was Re:JDR F ads)

>>>I don't know, it seems a little arrogant to me when someone that you barely
know tells you how to manage your disease...a disease that relies on self
more than most that I can think of.<<<

The comment I was thinking of when I wrote the earlier message was about
diabetes being "really bad" to need an insulin pump.  That's more ignorance
than arrogance.

But I have seen some arrogance, in having someone think they know better than
I do how to handle my diabetes.  I remember, after my cesarean section, I had
an infection in the site of my incision.  I had a visiting nurse come twice
daily for several weeks to change the dressing on the wound.

One nurse that I had  a couple of weekends got me downright angry.  I
remember, one of those days she came was a bad day with my sugars.  They were
really high before one visit and really low before the next.  Her reaction?
AS SOON as I had the first low (something like 36), she scolded me that I
needed to call my endo ASAP about it.  Then I had that bad day a week later.
During the preceding week, I had NOT called my endo, because I hadn't felt it
was necessary yet, her declaration of the need not withstanding.

I had those two bad readings that day, both high and low, and with each one,
she started scolding me.  I told her how I planned to deal with it (adjust my
rates, take a correction bolus, etc.).  She said I shouldn't try these things
on my own, but that my endo would want to know and deal with them herself.

On the one hand, that was funny to me.  If every patient called their endo
every time they had an out of whack bg, that endo would spend 24 hours every
day on the phone!  But on the other, it was insulting.  I had had diabetes for
nearly seventeen years, at that point, and I knew what I was doing, obviously
a whole lot better than my visiting nurse did.  Though she did ask my blood
sugars when she came, the problem that resulted in her coming to my home to
care for me had nothing to do with my diabetes care.  If I needed her
harassment in how to deal with the diabetes, I would have gotten a visiting
nurse for the diabetes instead of the wound!

Finally, I prepared to give her an earful if she gave me another such
scolding.  The next day, my sugars were normal, so she didn't harass me.  I
complained to my weekday nurse about her, and I never had her on another
weekend again.

That was arrogance and ignorance all rolled into one.  When a nurse knows
nothing about diabetes, she'd best assume her patient, living with it, knows a
little more than she does.  I can handle it.  Highs and lows happen.  They
aren't reason to panic that the sky is falling!

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990