[IP] Re: ] Soap Box & ? about Hypo Awareness

>>>I think from what I have read and heard that even keeping BS in the
"normal" range works as well.<<<

I mentioned I raised my basals after my hypo unawareness.  I never really
tried to run high, I just tried to stay in the normal range and not go low.
As I said, it worked.  Now, when I get lows, I feel them again, though I don't
get them nearly as often.

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's worth noting again, as there are
women expecting on this list.  My frequent bad lows occurred after my daughter
was born.  I nursed both of my children, and value the experience.  (Actually,
I'm still nursing my daughter, who is ten months old.)  It is truly a
pleasure; I wouldn't have traded it for the world.  (And it is, once the
initial adjustment is made, MUCH easier to do than to make formula, warm it,
and feed the baby, especially at one am!

After my son was born, I had no problems associated with nursing and my blood
sugars, but after my daughter -- it was really bad.  We (my endo and I) kept
reducing, cutting back more, and more, and it took us three months before the
problem was really solved.  My insulin needs went way, way down.

It may not happen, but be prepared that it could if you nurse your babies.
After the birth of both children, I went back to ratios that were close to
pre-pregnancy, but a little less.  Even that little less, it wasn't enough the
second time.  It is something you need to monitor closely and be willing to
respond aggressively, because you are no help to that baby if you are
incapacitated from a low, and the baby isn't going to help you out much, under
the circumstances, either!  I was fortunate that my husband was there for
several of the especially bad lows.  I do remember one when he was at work.
Nothing short of a will to live got me through it, because I was wiped out!
At least that time, I knew what was going on!

After telling about that, though, I want to strongly urge new moms to nurse
their babies.  One of the theories out there is that a contributing factor to
type 1 diabetes is the use of cow's milk and cow's milk based formulas (which
are the majority of formulas in use) in babies under one year of age.  Though
the risk of type 1 in the offspring isn't all that great in a type 1 mom, it
is a little higher than average.  Breastfeeding reduces the risk.

It may present some bumps in the road, in regulating the sugars, but it is
worth every bit of it and then some.  Don't let my experience scare you away
from trying!

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990