Re: [IP] surgery & pump

I have had surgery more than just a couple of times
since having a pump.  Only once did I need to take it
off (I had the infusion set inserted in the "wrong"
place for the procedure so I HAD to remove it.  But,
my endo hadn't written any orders, so no insulin at
all during the procedure (see below for more

Most recent surgery was 3 weeks ago.  Not a problem.
I dropped my basal by 50% and had perfect numbers
throughout.  The anesthesiologist was a bit over the
top with his concern about my 31 years as T1.
Insisted that I have an EKG before going under because
NO ONE (according to him) with IDDM as long as me
could be as healthy as I presented.

If you are concerned about it, call your MD's office,
find out what anesthesiologist will be there then call
them and talk to them.  If that anest. says "no" tell
your MD that you won't go through with it.  The one
time that I took off my pump, my BG soared and my
lungs filled up with fluid.  I almost drowned myself
from high BG! (does that happen to any body else?).

Anyway - any educated anesth or MD will insist that
you keep your pump ON with your BG above 120 and a
reduced basal rate.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?