[IP] Re: Eye problems

Hi Jan,
       No Claire doesn't wear glasses, or need them at this point in time
anyhow.   Two of my kids had eye check ups together and they both have
dilated eyes, the doc said some kids are just like this.  When we made the
big trip to see an Endo last May, Claire had been dx 5 years at that point in
time, so I was anxious to know what tests she might need in honour of that
anniversary.  Endo said nothing was needed.  I did not like him one bit and
do not plan on going back, though I'm keeping the option open as he is our
only option!!!  He said that no dilated eye exam was necessary and that even
dipping the urine for protein was unnecessary.  And he couldn't understand
why our previous endo, who started Claire on the pump, ordered the blood
tests that she did, which had been forwarded to him.
       Anyhow, to see an opthamologist would require a referral from a GP and
if they don't think its necessary, they won't send the referral.  The wait
for an appointment would probably take quite awhile.  The optometrist gave us
an appointment at a time I liked within a couple of weeks.  He planned a
longer appointment to dilate Claire, until I told him that the Endo said it
wasn't necessary, and I was able to bring her in at an easier time.   Maybe
at age 10 they will think it is a good time for a "benchmark" check-up.  ??
This optometrist was really great at solving some of my vision problems,
which is why I believe he is quite knowledgeable.  He is in a group with
about 8 others, and across the hall in the other part of the building are the
3 opthamologists, so don't think they are in competition for patients.
Barbara, Mum of Claire 8