Re: [IP] Re: infection in site. (Carrying Staph)

I have just had an experience with a Staph infection. It has been AWFUL !!!

I had what I thought was an ingrown hair and it seemed to get really worse
after a few days.  (yeah it was right above my pubic bone) It kept growing
and growing. It started to get REALLY painful too.  I finally went to my Dr.
and had him look at it and he told me that I was going to have to go to a
surgeon and have it lanced and drained. That was on Thursday almost 2 weeks
ago. He called the surgeon and they decided that since I am diabetic (Insulin
Dep. and on pump) that they would treat me with oral antibiotics and some
MILD pain medication through the weekend. Well by Sunday I really felt like I
had a MASSIVE tumor growing and it was killing me.(No, I do not tolerate pain
well) I called my Dr. and he said to call the surgeon on Monday morning. I
called and was told to go to the ER and the Surgeon would see me in the
private treatment area when he got out of surgery. So finally at 3pm he came
in and looked at the infected area. He said that I was going to have to go to
the OR and have the place lanced and drained. I went into the operating room
at 7pm and it took the surgeon almost 1 1/2 hours to perform the I&D. I woke
up in recovery in more pain than before I had the surgery, but at least I got
some good pain medication to knock me out.
Anyway, I was in the hospital for a few days.  The 3rd day I was in the nurse
came in my room and told me that they had the results of the culture of the
wound. I had what they call MRSA(methicillin-resistant staphylococcus
aureus)....in other words a STAPH infection. And yes I was informed that
because I am diabetic that I was more susceptible to STAPH.  GREAT !
Something else I can be thankful for...Just Kidding!
Because of the Staph, they did not close my wound with stitches or staples. I
have to cleanse it and pack it with gauze 3-4 times a day. It is GROSS ! I
have a hole that a baseball could fit into and it is REALLY painful. I am on
strong antibiotics to fight the infection. I have been told that there are
only a FEW antibiotics that will kill this infection. So hopefully anyone
else who has had the thrill of having a STAPH infection has been given the
proper antibiotics !  I just went back to the surgeon today for a post op
visit and he told me to keep taking the antibiotics for 10 more days...YUK!

Just thought I would share my experience with STAPH !  Good Luck to others
with the lovely STAPH !

Happy Pumping !