Re: [IP] JDRF posters

I hope I don't offend anyone with this, but those posters remind me of some
PSAs I have seen that are made by the JDRF.  They are a MAJOR turn off to me.
On the PSAs, you see these little kids complaining about how much it hurts to
check their blood sugars and take their shots, and how they hate having
diabetes.  MTM is on there explaining what the complications are, as though
they are most certainly inevitable.  She says diabetes is a death sentence.
She finishes off with a pitiful, "Please, help us!"

I have had diabetes for seventeen years, since I was about fourteen years old.
I have managed with it, quite well, for that period of time.  No, it isn't a
walk in the park.  It does require hard work to manage properly, and failure
to do so or bad genes can result in dire consequences.

But I refuse to consider myself a victim.  The last thing in the world that I
want from people is their pity.  They may not have diabetes to deal with, but
everyone has to deal with something.  It isn't always a health problem, but
everybody has some sort of difficulty in life.  Diabetes is mine.  I am
choosing to make the best of it.

When I see that PSA, I feel the same way I likely would feel about those
posters.  "Oh, grow up!  This is your lot in life!  Instead of wallowing in
self pity, make the best of it!"

I appreciate what the JDRF is trying to do, absolutely.  I want a cure as much
as anyone, and I am profoundly grateful for the developments in the treatment
of diabetes, which are probably thanks in large part to their work.

But I think their method is counterproductive, and as a type 1 diabetic
myself, wish they would find other methods of getting the message out.

Again, I hope I haven't offended anyone.  I know diabetes is a bad disease.  I
want continued research, and it annoys me when other diseases not nearly so
prevalent get more funding from the US government.  I just question the
methods used to raise the money and raise public awareness.  I'd like to see
the public made aware and money raised for needed research in a way that
doesn't reduce me to a victim in need of pity.  That is all.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990