Re: [IP] Sets

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:52:14 -0500 "Cara Hite" <email @ redacted
wrote:
 > Can you tell me the reason for using the bent needle?  I am asking
because
 > my daughter's cannulas always kink, I've tried the bent needle but it
gave
 > her an infection...
 > Thanks, Cara

I still use the bent needle because it was the most advanced infusion
set available in 1995 when I started pumping. I was also concerned about
whether the bent needle would be satisfactory when I went for bicycle
rides, and I found that it was indeed satisfactory. My concern about
bicycle riding also steered me away from the later infusion sets that
have cannulas that bend or kink for reasons that no one ever seems to be
sure of. When the Quick Release was introduced on the bent needle I
quickly switched to the QR version.

I've never had an infected site. Usually, but not always, I wash my
hands before changing the infusion set. The only antiseptic I use is IV
Prep. I believe that there is a wide variation as far as who gets
infections and who doesn't. I live alone so I don't have to deal with
infections acquired from people who live with me. If I started getting
infections I would probably pay closer attention to how I prepare the
site.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000
About 100 pictures from my 60 Years of Survival party can be viewed at
www.picturetrail/tombeatsonparty