Re: [IP] Why do analogs need prescriptions

> What is the reasoning behind the idea that insulin analogs,
> such as Novalog and Humalog, need a prescription?

My understanding, and I'm sure there are some historians here who can add
the details, is that when Bates made his discovery/work on insulin available
to the public domain part of the deal was that there was legislation that
insulin would be available to all. Therefore insulin is exempt from any FDA
rules requiring prescriptions. Analogues on the other hand are not "Insulin"
(though they act like insulin) and do not enjoy the same exemption.