[IP] Re: son's job

 My 16 year old son has been pumping for 4 year. He has a job at a local
restaurant bussing tables. He's worked there about 6 months. He has never told
anyone about his diabetes although a friend that also works there does know.
Last Saturday night he was scheduled to work 5-10. He had gone to the movies
with friends and when I picked him up @3 he said he felt high and wondered if he
had some pump problems. (My son has very good control- is a1C is usually around
6.0- 6.5.) When he tested he was 490, by this time it was 4:00, an hour away
from work. Well, he called off work which was not taken well at the restaurant
especially coming from a teenager on a Saturday night. It took us most of the
evening to get things under control and of course he felt awful. He was also
scheduled to work Sunday morning. He went into work, looking fine of course. Was
told he would be fired if he ever did it again. He was given little opportunity
to defend himself and he felt the best plan wold be to keep his mouth shut and
keep working. I have encourage him to find a time to talk to his boss and
explain his diabetes to her. He said he would but I seriously doubt it. I am
troubled as a parent that I may need to interfere here and call his boss. He has
never called off work before and rarely has pump problems . Although I can
certainly understand why his boss would assume he had blown off a night of work,
I feel it is important that his boss knows the real story- any advice?