Re: [IP] JDRF posters

I am going to stick up here for JDRF. My Mom is highly involved. For one
thing, the organization was created back in the 70's when Type 1 was for the
most part considered to be a childhood disease. It was created by a group of
parents. Don't let the name mistake you. JDRF has and is working very hard to
fund research not only to find a cure, but also in complications. I am not
sure if everyone knows exactly how JDRF works. Grants are sent in and
reviewed by a group of scientist. The scientist then give their suggestion on
if the grant should be funded. It then moves on to the lay review committee.
This is made up of parents, siblings, spouses, children of diabetics and
diabetics themselves. These are the people that decide where the money goes.
The lay reviewers are extremely knowledgable in medical understanding. There
are several lay review members on this list. I for one, am very thankful to
these memebers because they have steered the way that JDRF funding has gone.
There is a lot of work being funded in complications. Yes, in many, if not
most, the ads do depict children. This does not mean that they are
concentrating on just children.
Just so people understand the ADA and JDRF are doing two different things. I
got this from the VP of Communications at JDRF (for a Public Releations
project I am doing). ADA deals more with lifestyle, mostly type 2. It is more
of an educational organization. JDRF deals with straight out Research, hence
the name change a few years ago. IMHO we need both organizations.

Stepping of my soap box and heading to bed.

dxd age 7 1988 pumping 1992