[IP] Re: Joslin awards

Jan Hughey wrote:
>>Also, for those who don't know, you can get a 25-yr
>>certificate from Joslin.

>Jan - what is the purpose of the certificate thatJoslin's issues?  I have
never understood the significance of receiving one (didn't "request" a 25th
one).  Can you shed some light on this for me? -gail in denver >

Sure, back when they started the awards, they gave a silver medal for 25
years - but the DMer had to go through all sorts of tests to prove there
were no complications. Doctors balked at subjecting patients to unnecessary
tests (x-rays, etc.) just for a medal.

Therefore, Joslin discontinued the medal for 25 years and started issuing a
certificate just for *recognition.*

Fifty-year DMers needed only to be warm and breathing to get the bronze
medal. I qualified for that one - but at my 25-yr mark, I did not so didn't
pursue it. YMMV (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Happiness is not so dependent on marrying the one person who can make us
happy, but avoiding the many who can make us miserable.